Hey Magical people! Somewhere in the flurry of recent products from Wizards/Hasbro was Unfinity, an ‘Acorn Set.’ Like all the Un-sets before it, it contains a number of cards that aren’t legal for any sanctioned play. Those kinds of cards used to be silver-bordered, but now they have a little acorn icon instead.
While there have been a few non-acorn or black-bordered cards in previous un-sets, mostly basic lands, that’s different in Unfinity. There are a lot of eternal-legal cards, and that means Commander! One of the Legendaries caught my eye, and while I was initially skeptical, I ultimately built the deck. It seems fun, and a little out there.
This is Captain Rex Nebula. He turns any old non-land permanent into a spaceship. Then there’s the possibility of a spectacular crash. Silly fun, especially because Cap’n Crunch can target himself, but can we actually make this a real deck? Here’s the list.
Captain Rex's Fleet Launcher
I could go into detail about the various sub-strategies in the deck, but honestly it should be fairly obvious, and if you’re anything like me, you want me to get to the breakdown of the ships. I’m such a sucker for sci-fi.
- Coveted Jewel – 6/6 with card draw, big mana, and navigation issues
- Heliod, God of the Sun – 4/4 indestructible, makes crew, adds vigilance to the fleet
- Oketra the True – 4/4 indestructible, double strike, makes crew, needs 3 crew to attack
- Purphoros, God of the Forge – 4/4 indestructible, can buff the fleet, and damages opponents
- Sunbird’s Invocation – 6/6 with ‘card-advantage’ engine
C Tier Ships
- God-Eternal Oketra – 5/5 double strike, makes crew, recursive
- Iroas, God of Victory – 4/4 indestructible, negates combat damage for the fleet and adds menace
- Kaldra Compleat – 7/7 indestructible, also is ridiculous equip, cannot be crashed by dice roll
- Konda, Lord of Eiganjo – 7/7 indestructible, vigilance, cannot be crashed by dice roll
- Luminate Primordial – 7/7 vigilance, triple Swords to Plowshares on entry, cannot be crashed by dice roll
- Tajic, Blade of the Legion – 4/4 indestructible, easily a 9/9 with some crew
B Tier Ships
- Brash Taunter – 5/5 indestructible, reflects damage, can fight on demand
- Selfless Squire – 4/4 + X/X in counters, possibly enormous, flash
- Stuffy Doll – 5/5 indestructible, reflects damage, can hurt itself for value
- True Conviction – 6/6 double strike and lifelink for the fleet
A Tier Ships
- Avacyn’s Memorial – 8/8 indestructible, makes Captain Rex Nebula indestructible, cannot be crashed by dice roll
- Emeria Shepherd – 7/7 flying, big landfall recursion, cannot be crashed by dice roll
- Necron Monolith – 7/7 indestructible, flying, makes crew, cannot be crashed by dice roll
- Sandstone Oracle – 7/7 flying, big card draw on entry, cannot be crashed by dice roll
- Tyrant’s Familiar – 9/9 flying, haste, deals 7 damage to a hostile on attack, cannot be crashed by dice roll
S Tier Ships
- Akroma’s Memorial – 7/7 flying, first strike, vigilance, trample, haste, pro red/black (for the fleet), cannot be crashed by dice roll
- Parhelion II – 8/8 flying, first strike, vigilance, makes crew, cannot be crashed by dice roll
- Zetalpa, Primal Dawn – 8/8 indestructible, flying, double strike, vigilance, trample, cannot be crashed by dice roll
If I had a Darksteel Forge, I’d probably include it. If I’m missing a sweet ship, I’d love to hear about it in the comments.
Other cards that are in consideration are Alibou, Ancient Witness, Fountain Watch, Leonin Abunas, Rebbec, Architect of Ascension, Scourglass, Barbarian Class, and Wyll, Blade of Frontiers.
I’m aware of the ‘combo’ with Brazen Dwarf, and I’m not into it.
The deck could probably do with some more spot removal, but it’s definitely not a cEDH deck, and it’s not trying to be.
Hopefully I get to take Captain Rex Nebula and the whole fleet out for a sortie, or some maneuvers. Maybe a fly-by. It’ll be fun to see if I can keep my ships from crashing long enough to take out an opponent or two. Thanks for reading!